Bee and wasp stings can have different effects on a puppy and dog. Like humans some puppy's can have an allergic reaction to the sting. The effect of the sting can vary from not serious to very serious and even death. Some puppy's and dogs love to chase bees and wasps. One bee sting may not do much harm but if the puppy gets several stings or stung in the mouth a trip to the vet is needed.
If your puppy is allergic it will have different reactions depending on how allergic it is to the bee sting. The most common symptoms are some irritation, hives and swelling. But in the more severe cases your puppy may vomit have diarrhoea and have breathing problems.
In your puppy emergency kit always ensure that you have pet antihistamine. Speak with your vet on the best antihistamine for your pet and how to administer it.
- Administer the antihistamine to your pet
- Using a tweezers remove the sting from your pets skin to prevent more venom being released into your pet
- Wash the wound and apply a cold compress to reduce swelling. Apply the cold compress for 5 minutes at a time.
- Applying a mixture of baking soda and water to the sting area will bring some relief to the puppy.
- Keep a close eye on your pet if they start to show signs of a severe reaction of anaphylatic shock contact your vet and get to the vets office straight away. Keep your dog conscious and wrapped in a blanket on the way to vet.
- Signs of the severe reaction are weakness, shakes, trouble breathing and pale gums and a large amount of swelling.
- Contact your vet also if your pet vomits and has diarrhoea